There are 17 summer chapels in Maine that have become communities of worship and friendship over the last 125 years. Many of the chapels date from those times when the Maine coast was growing popular as a summer destination, the days when families came for the summer and when going to church meant walking there.
Today few families spend the entire summer at their second homes. The roads are paved, the cars are dependable. Still, the summer chapels continue to draw families back to mark life’s milestones: weddings and baptisms, memorial services and lovely, unremarkable Sunday mornings. The connections remain for those families who have worshipped and celebrated together in places of great natural beauty and the visitors they welcome into their midst.
Schedules vary between chapels but most begin worshipping together at the end of June and continue through Labor Day. Read more about each chapel and how to get in touch with them by clicking on the links below. Chapels hire clergy to serve during the summer and schedule weddings and services independently of the diocese. To request contact information for a chapel, please email [email protected].
All of the summer chapels listed below can be found by searching for the Diocese of Maine on The Episcopal Asset Map.
- All Saints’ by the Sea, Bailey Island
- St. Martin’s in the Field, Biddeford Pool
- St. Peter’s by the Sea, Cape Neddick
- St. Philip’s by the Sea, Fortunes Rocks
- Our Lady of the Evergreens, Harborside
- Christ Church Dark Harbor, lslesboro
- Trinity Chapel, Kennebunk Beach
- St. Ann’s, Kennebunkport
- St. Cuthbert’s, MacMahan Island
- North Haven Summer Services, North Haven
- All Saints’ Chapel, Orrs Island
- St. James’ Chapel, Prouts Neck
- Church of the Redeemer, Sorrento
- All Saints by the Sea, Southport
- St. George’s Chapel, Long Cove, Tenants Harbor
- St. Christopher’s by the Sea, Winter Harbor
- Trinity Chapel, York Harbor
The chapel community gathered via Zoom in August 2022. A recording of this meeting is available by clicking here. When prompted, enter passcode “sumchap#2022” to view. To read the ‘chat’ from the gathering, click here.