Thank you for considering representing your congregation as a lay delegate to the 204th Annual Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Maine.
Delegates are leaders in their congregations and the Diocese of Maine, and one of the most important connectors between congregations and the diocese. The ministry of a delegate is unique and their support of their congregation and the diocese is valued and appreciated.
In 2023, convention will take place in parts. Here are some important dates:
- Pre-convention Meetings – Tuesday, October 17 at 7:00 pm for Area Caucuses to Elect Diocesan Council Reps, then attend one Pre-convention Meeting on either Tuesday, October 24 at 7:00 pm or Thursday, October 26 at 5:30 pm.
- Diocesan-wide Convocation – Saturday, October 21 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at Cathedral of St. Luke. THIS IS FOR THE WHOLE DIOCESE and is not limited to clergy and delegates/alternates to convention and will be livestreamed on the Cathedral’s YouTube channel.
- Annual Convention Business Session – Saturday, November 11 from 9:00 am -12:00pm online for clergy and lay delegates. This is when voting will take place. Alternates and all others may watch online via the diocesan YouTube channel.
Below is a brief overview of the role and responsibilities of a convention delegate (lay or clergy). Please talk to your church leadership to let them know if you are interested in being elected a delegate for a future convention at your annual meeting.
- COMMUNICATE As you learn about the business of convention, please share this information with alternate delegates so that they may be prepared if they need to step in! If you are unable to attend the parts of this conventnion, please communicate this information with your priest or senior warden as soon as possible. They will need to be in touch with Wendy Kopera to certify the change and sign a form.
- WATCH for information and news from the committees of convention in the weekly Clergy and Lay Leaders Newsletter that arrives in your inbox each Tuesday.
- PARTICIPATE Consider submitting a resolution or nomination before the deadline of September 15!
- ATTEND Pre Convention Meetings on Tuesday, October 17 from 7-8pm and Tuesday, October 24 from 7-8pm or Thursday, October 26 from 530-630pm; Convocation in-person at the Cathedral on Saturday, October 21 from 9 am to noon; Annual Business Meeting Online on Saturday, November 11, 9 am to noon
- KNOW convention materials on the website: https://episcopalmaine.org/convention. Be familiar with the materials and resources available.
- NOTE important deadlines. Pay attention to when nominations and resolutions are due, when delegation changes must be completed, and the registration deadline.
- REGISTER Certified delegates, canonically resident clergy and priests-in-charge of congregations are required to register. Unless called upon to replace a delegate, alternates should not register for the business meeting portion where voting will take place. The livestream will be available on YouTube. The Certificate of Delegates (roster) received from your congregation plus your registration form(s) credentials you to attend convention. Other people with a role at convention – staff, committee members, resolution presenters, etc. – are also asked to register. Note the deadline as late registrations will not be accepted and delegates who do not register will not be eligible to enter the Zoom room.
- CONNECT Each delegate needs their own device with a camera, a unique email address, the latest version of the Zoom client, and good internet connectivity. There will not be a dial-in option as voting will take place via visual polls. Make sure your “Zoom name” is set up before the meeting. If you are called “My laptop”, we won’t know who you are!
- READ The “All About Convention” email that will arrive in registered delegates/clergy inbox a few days before the business meeting. This email will contain your unique login for Zoom; please don’t share or lose it!
- BE PUNCTUAL Login and arrive on time to attend!
- VOTE Be prepared at convention by having read the materials available on the website, participated (or watched) a Pre-convention Meeting, and engaged in conversations with other delegates and members of your parish/area.
- ABIDE by the Rules of Order at convention that will be posted on the convention webpage, and be familiar with the generally accepted Rules of Parliamentary Procedure (Robert’s Rules of Order).
- PRAY for the entire convention, your Bishop and staff, for all delegates and the decisions being made, and those who have offered themselves for leadership roles. Prayerfully consider how your vote furthers the mission and ministry of the Diocese of Maine and the wider Church.
Please note that the dates listed here may be adjusted slightly as convention plans evolve. You may reach out to Teresa Pinney with questions.