The 201st Convention of the Diocese of Maine
FIRST ONLINE DIOCESAN CONVENTION
Stay tuned for details! Specific dates and more information will be determined soon.
Questions? Contact Canon Barbara Martin via email or at 207.772.1953 x 125.
Vote and voice at Convention are granted to all canonically-resident clergy, priests-in-charge of congregations in the diocese, and elected, certified lay delegates. Read what the constitution and canons have to say applying ot lay delegates to convention here
What are the responsiblities of lay delegates?
1. In advance of convention, review materials and be prepared to discuss and vote on business to come before convention.
2. Attend any designated pre-convention gatherings before convention. These will take place at Town Hall on Tuesday at 5pm via Zoom. (Specific dates to be announced.)
3. Register for convention. For this online convention, a unique email address for each delegate must be provided.
3. Attend convention
• Vote on resolutions
• Elect diocesan officers and representatives
• Adopt a 2021 diocesan budget
4. Abide by the Rules of Order at convention. (Rules of Order will be posted here when available.)
5. Report back to your congregation the election results, actions taken by convention on resolutions, and share the Bishop’s address.
6. Cover the expenses that could include those outlined below (paid either by congregations or delegates, depending on what your congregation decides):
• Mileage to and from Convention
• Cost of any registration/meal fee for Convention
• Cost of any hotel room if necessary
Lay representatives are elected by their congregation and must be certified. The certificates are examined by the Committee on Credentials prior to convention. Are you a priest or senior warden/clerk who needs to certify your lay delegation? Please complete and sign the electronic certificate below by July 15, 2020:
CERTIFICATE OF DELEGATES TO THE 201ST DIOCESAN CONVENTION
If you have any questions about the certificate, please be in touch with Teresa.
ELECTION OF DIOCESAN LEADERS
Nominations for consideration by the 201st Convention of the Diocese of Maine are now open. Please use the application form below to nominate yourself or someone else (with their permission) for one of the open positions listed and described on this page by September 16, 2020. The form will ask for a photo. Please have a headshot of the nominee ready to submit. Elections will take place at convention.
The open diocesan positions and terms are listed below along with the name of the person who currently holds the seat. Click on the link for more information about each position.
(1 year term); Mr. Richard Rozene (2020)
(1 year term); Ms Leigh Spahr (2020)
Diocesan Council is a decision-making body of the Diocese of Maine comprised of two elected members (one clergy person and one lay person) from each of the eight diocesan areas
. In 2020, we are electing lay members and elections will take place in Town Hall Zoom meetings leading up to the 201st Convention of the Diocese of Maine. Please use the application form below to nominate yourself or someone else (with their permission) by September 16, 2020
. The form will ask for a photo. Please have a headshot of the nominee ready to submit.
Area 1 - Ms Nancy Mooers
Area 2 - Ms Rita Redfield
Area 3 - Ms Christine Talbot
Area 4 - Ms Melissa Sparks
Area 5 - Mr. Tom Ward
Area 6 - Mr. Stephen Ward
Area 7 - current representative served three terms; ineligible for re-election
Area 8 - Ms Holly Sargent