The origins of Trinity Church go back to 1884 when summer visitors began the construction of a small wooden church which was consecrated in August 1886 and called St. George's Church.
By 1903 it became apparent that St. George's Church was too small and plans were made to erect the present building. The cornerstone was laid in 1908 and the first service was held in June 1910. The funds were raised from men prominent men in York Harbor as well as in public life in their home states, including Thomas Nelson Page, author and statesman, who later gave the large memorial window in the south transept. (There is also a beautiful Tiffany window over the altar.)
The trustees of St. George's Church then became the Trustees of Trinity Church which continues to this day. The Old St. George's Church was used occasionally in the spring, winter, and fall, but was deconsecrated in 1930 and given away.
In 1948 the Diocese decided to establish a year-round mission in York known as St. George's which has prospered and ultimately became a full parish in 1968. Meanwhile Trinity continued with the practice of inviting clergy from summer residents, St. George's, and "from away" which continues to the present.
In 1996 the Trustees of Trinity and the Vestry of St. George's decided to move to a closer relationship. In the summer months early morning communion is held at St. George's and the later morning service at Trinity for 12 Sundays beginning in June through Labor Day. On the first and third Sunday of each month, the 10 a.m. service is Holy Communion. In 2003 a Triniy/St. George's Mission was established to work toward the integration of the two congregations.
We are fortunate to have a volunteer choir under the able leadership of Audrey Adams that adds greatly to the services. Trinity is largely maintained by contributions made to our devoted Ladies Committee, the Sunday offering, and a small endowment. The church is open for weddings in the summer and year-round residents of York from June 15 to September 15. Baptisms, memorial services, and funerals can be arranged with the clergy during that time.