St. Christopher's by the Sea
In 1891, a proposal was made to build a summer Episcopal chapel, to be known as St. Christopher's by the Sea, on Grindstone Neck in Winter Harbor, Maine. This project was supported by local area residents and by the summer community on Grindstone Neck. The construction of the church started in 1892, but it was not until August 6, 1893 that the first service was held in the chapel. The Rev. Julius Atwood, rector of St. James' Church in Providence, Rhode Island, officiated and preached the first sermon.
St. Christopher's seats about 100 people. The interior of the church is rustic in appearance with exposed beams and shingled walls. Memorial plaques have been placed on the walls commemorating the lives of many former worshippers in the church. An example is a lovely carved wooden panel, circa 1509-1511, of Christ accompanied by two of his disciples.
This chapel has changed little over the years. A large stone chimney on one end of the building was removed in 1927 and a window was installed in its place. In 1970, that window was replaced by one of two stained glass windows given by a church member.
Many other memorial gifts have been presented to the church such as the organ, the light fixture over the font, and the altar sconces. The altar needlepoint kneelers were done by church women, and families still volunteer to provide flowers for the Sunday services. These gifts serve to make St. Christopher's a very special place, as many of these donations remind members of the congregation.